Smoothie Buzz – Tips for an Easy Christmas
December 2018 Issue #2
1) Tips for An Easy Christmas
2) Gingerbread Oatmeal Smoothie
3) Perfect Eggnog
Hello and Welcome to another Special Christmas Edition of Smoothie Buzz.
This Christmas we bring you two fabulous holiday recipes as well as giving you tips for a stress-free Christmas.
The first recipe is our Gingerbread Oatmeal Smoothie. Now this smoothie is really a meal in itself, packed with yogurt, rolled oats and chia seeds. A perfect starter for Christmas morning to get you energized for a busy day ahead. This is healthy festive fare at its best.
The second recipe is probably not quite so healthy, but delicious nonetheless. It is my Eggnog recipe.
How to Have a Stress-Free Christmas
Christmas is a wonderful time of year, but it can also be one of the most stressful. I’m all for making life easier, so here are some tips to keep the holiday season meltdown-free.
- Have guests coming over? Rally the troops by asking them to pitch in and help. Make the most of your guests’ cooking talents by assigning different dishes to each one.
- Stock Up. Plan a Christmas menu well in advance so you can begin shopping long before the big day. Pick up pantry items and decorations each week to help spread out the costs and keep an eye out for discounts.
- Plan Ahead. Pre-prepare dishes ahead of time and freeze to make it easier on the day. Homemade pies, cookies and casseroles can be made a few days or even weeks in advance.
- Have a running sheet for the big day. If you only have one oven and more than one dish that needs to be baked, schedule each dish with instructions (e.g. brownies in oven at 8.00 am, remove meat from fridge at 11.00 am etc.).
- Take as many shortcuts as you can. Everything doesn’t have to be home-made. Store bought dips, ready-made salad kits, ready-to-heat
bread rolls, frozen cookie dough etc. make life a little easier.
- When planning your menu, keep to what you know and are confident making. This is not the time to experiment with a new, complicated recipe.
Gingerbread Oatmeal Smoothie
Preparation: 5 minutes
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon molasses
How to Make
- Add all the ingredients to your blender and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into your favorite festive glasses and enjoy
The Perfect Eggnog
Preparation: 25 minutes (plus extra refrigeration time)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- 2 cups hot milk
- ½ cup brandy
- ½ cup cream
How to Make
- Place egg yolks, sugar and milk in a large heatproof bowl. Stand this over a saucepan of simmering water (do not allow the water to touch the base of the bowl).
- Whisk for about 15 minutes or until the mixture lightly coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat then stir in the brandy. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for about one hour.
- In a separate small bowl beat the cream until soft peaks form, then fold into the egg mixture.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold the white into the egg mixture in two batches.
More Holiday Smoothies
Here are some more fabulous Holiday Smoothies to get you in the festive mood.
Merry Christmas to you all.